Villages of the HinterlandThe hinterland of Marotta and its province is full of characteristic villages and towns whose historical charm has been persevered and where time has seemingly stood still.
We recommend a tourist and cultural tour of some of these.
First stop: MONDAVIO
Can be reached from Hotel Imperial in Marotta by car in approx. 30 minutes
The spectacular historical centre of Mondavio is amongst one of the best preserved in the Marche region, inspired by the architectural features of a city which is a “living body” of Leonardo and Francesco Di Giorgio Martini.
We recommend you visit:
The Rocca Roveresca of Mondavio (Fortress)
Built between 1482 and 1492 following the wishes of Giovanni Della Rovere of Senigallia, the Fortress, designed by the renowned Sienese architect Francesco Di Giorgio Martini, is considered an absolute masterpiece of military architecture from the Renaissance era.
The magnificent complex is composed of a striking polygon shaped donjon with ten irregularly formed sides which constitute an impregnable fortress, an indispensible defence weapon for a territory positioned on the border, where past battles have left their unmistakeable mark.
Castle of Sant'Andrea di Suasa
Up on a hill just a few kilometres from Mondavio and still surrounded by powerful medieval walls with only one arched entrance, the castle was built by the Benedictine Monks who provided shelter to nearby communities who lived and worked under their protection.
Second stop: CORINALDO
Can be reached from Mondavio by car in approx. 15 minutes
Located in a strategic position between the Marca di Ancona and the State of Urbino, its centre is the Piaggia (“slope”), a staircase of one hundred steps towards which the red brick houses converge, arranged in a herringbone pattern.
To this day, the town's imposing walls have remained an integral symbol of the village of Corinaldo. These have remained practically intact since the 15th century and the entire 912m circle can be traced in an evocative guided tour. The doors, bulwarks, defence towers, swallow-tail merlons and communication trenches constitute a rare example of a fortified city.
The Towers of Corinaldo create a striking visual impact, including the 15th century “Sperone” tower in a pentagon shape, the “Scorticatore”, “Mangano” and “Calcinaro” towers, which derive their names from the profession of the people who used to live there.
The most interesting part of the town wall is perhaps that near Port St. Giovanni, insofar as many of its defence features have been preserved unaltered. In this section, the military architecture of the era displays its treasure chest of embrasures, loopholes, corbels, machicolations and battlements.
Turning towards the Bargello well, the terrace above the door arch can be reached, from where it is possible to admire the view of the historical centre and surrounding countryside, reaching as far as Monte Conero on clear days.
Absolutely not to be missed is the neoclassic architectural Municipal Building, the Municipal Theatre (1861-69) named after Carlo Goldoni and the Casa del Trecento (14th century Home), which houses the Pro Loco and is the oldest in the village.
The churches unveil the village's long history as part of the Papal State. The Collegiata di S. Francesco (collegiate) has ancient origins (1265), but comes to us in the form of its 17th & 18th century reconstructions.
The Santuario di. S. Maria Goretti (sanctuary), whose ex-monastery is now a "Sala del Costume" (Costume Hall) and local library, includes 18th century aspects of the ancient medieval church of St. Nicolò. The interior is a beautiful example of late baroque architecture, housing numerous works of art, including a large wooden choir bench which holds a spectacular Callido organ from 1767.
The Chiesa del Suffragio (church), completed in 1640, preserves a painting by Claudio Ridolfi, whilst a Callido organ can be found in the wooden choir bench above the entry to the Chiesa dell'Addolorata (church), consecrated in 1755.
Can be reached from Corinaldo by car in approx. 30 minutes
Arcevia is renowned for its impregnable fortress, which to this day has preserved its medieval town structure with four fortified village walls and the beautiful Collegiata di San Medardo (collegiate).
Inside, the collegiate houses various artistic masterpieces from the Renaissance and medieval eras: the Polyptych with the Eternal Father, Mother Mary and Son and the Saints, and the Baptism of Christ by Luca Signorelli, as well as the beautiful glazed terracotta sculpture by Giovanni Della Robbia, dated 1513 and placed as an altar frontal on the left transept.
Not to be missed are the doors of San Pietro, the Sasso and Sant'Agostino, as well as the two beautiful donjons of Sant'Agostino and Santa Lucia, which formed part of the ancient town walls.
On your way back to Hotel Imperial in Marotta (approx. 30 minutes), we recommend you stop in Senigallia and visit the Foro Annonario, located in the historical centre and just a stone's throw from the central Piazza Roma.
In the evenings, the structure which was designed in 1834 by architect Pietro Ghinelli in a neoclassic style, comes to life with numerous wine bars and venues where tasting platters and excellent wines can be enjoyed.